Bio of Krystyna C. Laycraft
I was born in Poland and studied theoretical physics at the University of Warsaw. After immigrating to Canada, I worked as a scientist on the Aurora Borealis at the University of Calgary. Later my interest changed, and I was involved in creating and running the school for international students. This was a very challenging period in my life, I was exhausted and came close to having a breakdown.
Fortunately, one of my dear friends invited me to her course on the fundamental arts. As a result, I found something special that changed my life. I fell in love with the process of being in nature, deeply observing the beauty of trees, streams, and clouds. I felt liberated and stimulated and found these artistic trips very therapeutic. After 10 years of running of the school, I decided to pass it to my family and move to my husband’s ranch, where I have committed myself fully to art projects for the last twenty years.
I worked in pastels and acrylic for many years, but lately, I enjoy making collages, which become my main coping strategy during stressful and challenging situations in my life and the outlet of my negative emotions and the source of positive emotions such as interest, joy, and satisfaction. Making collages not only enhances my mental flexibility and problem-solving skills, but also increases my concentration and attention to details. During this process, I let myself to be affected by the external events as well by the internal world of my emotions, memories, images, and dreams. So, the experiences during the period of making collages has not only therapeutic but also transformative impact on me.
- Ph.D. Graduate Division in Educational Research, University of Calgary, (2009 – 2012) Dissertation: “The Development of Creativity: A Study of Creative Adolescents and Young Adults.”
- Series of Workshops on Mixed Media Techniques run by a mixed media artist, Jeanne Krabbendam, 2004, 2008, 2015, 2018
- Free Brush Techniques Workshops run by an artist, Kui Wang, Calgary, 1999-2000
- Landscape Painting Courses, Alberta College of Art and Design, Calgary, 1997,1998,1999
- Visual Art Course, The Rosebud School of the Fine Art, run by Dr. Helen Diemert, Fall 1994/1995
- Graduate Studies Ph.D. in Theoretical Physics, University of Calgary, 1985-1987
- Master of Science in Physics University of Warsaw, Poland, 1967 -1972
- Consultant & Artist, Center for Chaos Studies, 2003 – present
- President, Equilibrium International Education Institute, Calgary, 1993-2003
- Researcher Scientist, Department of Physics, University of Calgary,1987 -1992
- Graduate Assistant, Department of Physics, University of Calgary,1985-1987
- Research Associate, Technical University of Warsaw, Poland, 1979-1982
- Research Assistant, Institute of Energetic, Warsaw, Poland, 1972-1979
- Professional Member of Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association (CCPA)
- Active member of Federation of Canadian Artists
- Member of The International Society of Experimental Artists (ISEA)
- Member of Art Point Gallery, Calgary, Alberta (2004-2020)
- Member of Courtyard Gallery, Enderby, BC
- Member of Vertigo Gallery, Vernon, BC
- Member of The European Council for High Ability (ECHA)
- Member of the Society for Chaos Theory in Psychology & Life Sciences
- The I Ching as Seen Through Collages, Calgary: Nucleus Learning.
- Uncovering The Theory of Positive Disintegration. Calgary: Nucleus Learning.
- Acceptance: The key to the meaningful life. Calgary, Alberta: Nucleus Learning.
- Their Lives. Marysia and Zygmunt. Victoria, BC: AwareNow Publishing.
- The Courage to Decide. Victoria, BC: AwareNow Publishing
- A Journey through the Lands of Feelings. Victoria, BC: AwareNow Publishing.
- Feeling Life: Patterns of Emotions. Victoria, BC: AwareNow Publishing
- Creativity as an Order through Emotion, Second Edition. Promontory Press.
- Creativity as an Order through Emotions, First Edition. AwareNow Publishing.
- Therapeutic and Transformative Impact of Making Collage, Armstrong, artist’s talk, B.C., August 17, 2022
- Maturing Through Creativity, presentation, The ECHA 2021, Virtual Conference
- Six Lessons on Creativity of Young People, presentation, CCPA/IAC 2019 Conference, 2019
- My Creative Journey, talk, Polish Canadian Cultural Centre, Calgary, 2016
- Why do we need to create? talk, The High River Art Society, 2016
- Creating Collages Expressing I Ching, workshop, High River Library, 2016
- Writing Your Own Life Story, workshop, High River Library, April-June 2016
- Acceptance and Creativity, talk, D.A.R.E., 2015
- Creativity and Psychological Development of Young People, presentation, The International Conference, University of Florida, Gainesville, Fl, USA, , 2015
- Psychological Development of Creative Adolescents through the Theory of Positive Disintegration, presentation, The Eleventh International Dabrowski Congress, Canmore, Alberta, Canada., 2014
- Psychological Development of Creative Adolescents through the Theory of Positive Disintegration, lecture, 1st International Scientific Symposium Kazimierz Dabrowski, Lublin, Poland, 2013
- The Development of Creativity: A Study of Creative Adolescents and Young Adults, presentation, 13th International ECHA Conference, Munster, Germany, 2012
- Creative Life as a Survival, presentation, 10th International Congress of the Institute for Positive Disintegration in Human Development, Denver, Colorado, USA, 2012
- The Psychological Development during Adolescence,” presentation, Faculty of Education, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, 2012
- The Pattern Models of Creativity of Young People, presentation, the 5th International Nonlinear Science Conference, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain, 2012
- Emergence of Creativity and the Teaching Profession, presentation, The Ninth International Congress of the Institute for Positive Disintegration in Human Development, St. Charles, IL, USA, 2010
- Chaos Theory and the Process of Learning, presentation, CSSE XXXVIII Annual Conference, Concordia University, Montreal, Canada, 2010
- Chaos, Complexity and Creativity, talk, Emily Carr University, 2010
- Chaos, Complexity and Creativity, workshop, Bridges Banff, 2009
- Chaos Theory and Creativity, lecture for FCA, Calgary, 2006
- Chaos = Creativity, workshop, Alberta College of Art & Design, 2005
- Chaos = Creativity, talk, Vancouver, 2005
- Feeling Life Exhibition, Armstrong Spallumcheen Museum and Art Gallery, B.C., August 11-September 3, 2022
- Featured Artist Exhibition, Courtyard Gallery Enderby, B.C. May 2022
- Featured Artist Exhibition, Courtyard Gallery Enderby, B.C. April 2021
- Magic in the Sky and on the Earth, Art Point Gallery, Calgary, October 2019
- My Piece of Heaven, Art Point Gallery, Calgary, March 2018
- How to Paint Infinity, Art Point Gallery, Calgary, June 2016
- Lands of Feelings, Art Point, Calgary, April 2016
- Patterns of Nature, Art Point Gallery, October 2013
- Creativity as an Order through Emotion Art Point Gallery, June 2012
- Celebration of Art and Life, Art Point Gallery, December 2010
- Journey through the Chaos Theory, The Women Centre, The U of C, 2010
- Book of Changes, Art & Soul Studio/Gallery High River, March 2010
- Book of Changes, Art Point Gallery, Calgary, November 2009
- Chaotic Attractors, Globe Theatre, Calgary, April 2008
- The Sky meets the Sea, Art & Soul Studio/Gallery, High River, July 2007
- Journey through the Chaos Theory, Art Point Gallery, Calgary, March 2007
- Sky, High River Centennial Library, March 2005
- Between Sky and Earth, Art and Soul Studio/Gallery, High River, 2004
- Beauty of Foothills, Blue Gold Gallery, Calgary, 2003
- Ocean Meets Prairies II, two-person show, Burnaby Art Council Gallery, 2003
- Ocean Meets Prairies I, two-person show, Art Point Gallery, 2003
- Life of Water, Equilibrium Gallery, Calgary, 1997
- Forest, Equilibrium Gallery, Calgary, 1996